Sunday 22 March 2009

Bravery or just plain stupid?


         Makes a difference from the archaeological ruins: Is Iraq  seriously a tourist destination?

A country such as Iraq where it's own citizens are fleeing by the minute is the least likely tourist destination in the world.  

And yet the BBC have just reported hotels like the Sheraton Hotel in Bagdad are still catering for the occasional nutty tourists.  

One who is 77 year old retired archeologist, named Bridget Jones (coincidence?) is reported to have said, "It never occurred to me to think it was a risk. I'm an optimist. I think it'll never happen to me."  

The BBC further reports:  

She admitted she had heard "a couple of explosions", and then she told me that she would prefer to be killed by a car bomb than die in a hospital geriatric ward.  

My father, who is retired and occasionally still does some work for the UN, was offered a job with very temping salaries to work in both Iraq and Afghanistan.  

After hearing about these offers, I always told him how upset with him I would be if he took those job 'opportunities'.  

Thankfully, he was sane enough to see it was a crazy idea, despite the attractive salary. I just don't understand how people think of going 'on holiday' to places like this? How on earth did the conversation arise?


1 comment:

The Kid In The Front Row said...

Well, I love that people are trying. That people are going. It's all well and good that we sit here with our privilege of 'knowing' how bad it is there - but for someone to go experience the world themselves; well that's always exciting to me.